Chubby Hubby Meatloaf Recipe
Meatloaf gets a kick from homemade barbecue sauce
Meatloaf is one of those irresistible American classics. From serving it doused in brown gravy over a pile of buttery mashed potatoes to taking that first delectable bite of a white bread and mayo-slathered meatloaf sandwich the next day, this is one dish that’s hard to go wrong with.
While just about any combination of ground beef, pork, ketchup and spices makes a decent loaf, what most of us crave is that roll-your-eyes-in-the-back-of your-head kinda loaf, and this recipe fits that bill. Incorporating a homemade, tangy barbecue sauce instead of just plain ‘ole ketchup along with adding a few secret ingredients into the meat mix (think buttermilk and horseradish), this recipe might involve a few extra steps, but I can promise you it’s well worth the effort.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a medium-sized pot to medium-high. Saute onion until soft. Add garlic. Saute one more minute.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté onion, carrot and celery until soft in vegetable oil. Remove from pan a set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl mix oats (or breadcrumbs), buttermilk, eggs, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Add in ¼ cup of the barbecue sauce and blend well.
- Add ground meat to the bowl of cooled onion, carrot and celery and mix gently with your hands. Then, add in the buttermilk/oats/barbecue sauce mixture. Blend well using your hands until fully incorporated.
- Gently form into an oval loaf in a shallow baking dish. Spread the top with additional sauce saving some to serve on the side. Bake for about 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Meatloaf can also be baked in a nonstick oblong meatloaf pan.
- Need to drain off some meat fat during cooking? Use a turkey baster.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »