Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe
Two unusual combinations make for the perfect pair
There are two things that I always want when I’m at a Korean pub: One is Korean fried chicken and the other is kimchi fried rice. It is the ultimate bar food and is great with a cold beer or a bottle of chilled soju. The spicy flavor of this quintessential fried rice melds perfectly with the sweetness of the twice-fried pork belly and the creamy texture of the fried egg yolk. It’s the best thing to make with surplus rice and kimchi. If you don’t have pork belly, I suggest using bacon, hot dogs or even Spam.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pork belly, soy sauce and mirin. Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the pork belly for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until the marinade caramelizes on the meat. Set the skillet aside, letting the pork continue to cook off the heat for about 10 minutes.
- Slice crosswise into 1/4-inch strips and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil and warm for 1 minute. Add the reserved pork belly, kimchee and Korean peppers and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the rice and break it up with the back of a wok ladle, tossing constantly to prevent it from sticking to the wok.
- Add the kimchi juice and scallions, and season with salt and white pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat another nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the vegetable oil and warm for 1 minute.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and cook sunny side up until done. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Place a mound of fried rice on 4 separate plates and top each mound with a fried egg.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »