Onion and Chili-Crusted Short Ribs Recipe
Spice Market's hearty short ribs pack some heat
Jean-Georges Vongerichten's NYC celeb-sighting spot Spice Market is known for its bold fusion cuisine. Here, fiery chilies spice up a traditional hearty braise over Asian-seasoned egg noodles to produce a warming fall dish that's truly a citizen of the world.
Make sure you caramelize the onions thoroughly, that's what makes the crust taste so good. This is also a great dish for freezing — the night you come home and think there's nothing to eat is the night you feast on spicy, fall-off-the-bone short ribs.
For short ribs:
- Heat a large round pot until smoking and coat liberally with oil. Add the thinly sliced onion and the chilis, season with salt, and cook until very deeply caramelized.
- Place the carrot, celery and halved onion in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Put half of the caramelized onions on top of vegetables. Season ribs with salt and pepper and arrange on top of vegetables.
- Bring stock to a boil separately and then pour enough into the roasting pan to cover the ribs by 2 inches.
- Cover pan with 2 sheets of foil and cook in a 325°F oven until ribs are completely tender, at least 2 hours.
- Remove ribs from pan, strain cooking liquid, let cool and remove fat. Reserve.
- Cut the top part of each rib off of bone and discard the remainder.
To serve with egg noodles:
- Put a generous coating of the remaining caramelized onions on top of the ribs in a small pot with enough of the reduced and strained broth to cover the ribs halfway.
- Bring to a boil, and then put into oven at 400°F and baste frequently. Cook until ribs are hot and soft throughout.
- Season broth delicately with soy and a few drops of sesame oil. Remove ribs and set aside.
- Add egg noodles, scallions, chilis and pea shoots to the broth.
- Divide noodle mixture into 4 large bowls, put a rib on top of each, and serve immediately.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »