Orange Ricotta Pancakes Recipe
Ricotta leaves Italy for a satisfying brunch
Who decided that the only flavor ricotta pancakes could sport was lemon? Does ricotta need lemon's permission or something? Orange goes way better with maple syrup — the proof is in these orange ricotta pancakes. Want even more proof? Try making them with homemade ricotta, it's a walk in the park. And while you're getting into orange-flavored brunch things, why not nail down a thoughtfully-crafted mimosa you can call your own? If you can think up a better pairing, we'd love to hear it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk ricotta, milk, orange zest, juice, vanilla and sugar until smooth and set aside.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the ricotta mixture with the dry ingredients, then fold in beaten egg whites.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and evenly distribute canola oil over the surface.
- Drop 1/4 cups of batter onto the pan to form pancakes, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, about two minutes, then flip and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite pancake accoutrements.