Roasted Vegetable Udon Recipe
Shrimp & roasted vegetables energize this udon dish
Gregory Gourdet, part-time hair model, marathon runner and chef makes every dish as stylish as it is delicious, and his udon recipe is no exception. Roasting the vegetables and making the sauce and garlic chips by hand adds a simple yet sophisticated touch to the dish.
Chef Gourdet's love for Asian-inspired cuisine comes from his former boss, Jean-Georges Vongerichten. After working for Jean-Georges in New York, Gourdet headed West to be the head chef of Departure in Portland, OR, where he began showcasing healthy dishes that appealed to runners and food snobs alike. Read more about Gourdet's cooking style in Food Republic's interview with him, and try cooking his roasted vegetable udon recipe at home.
To make the Vegetables
- Char peppers over open flames. Peel, seed, rinse, and julienne.
- Char onion over open flame until very black, roast at 350 degrees until tender (about 25 minutes), julienne.
- Grill or roast 1 inch pieces of scallion bottoms.
To make the Garlic Chips
- In small pot, heat oil gently. Add sliced garlic and mix around to separate slices.
- Raise heat to low medium and gently fry garlic, stirring often, until very light golden, about 14 minutes.
- Do not let garlic color past golden, it will be bitter.
- Strain from oil immediately, drain on paper towels and season with a pinch of salt. Save garlic oil for another use.
To make the Sauce
- Combine all ingredients together.
To make the Udon
- Cook udon like pasta in salted water for 8 minutes or until tender yet firm, drained and tossed warm in sesame oil.
- In a wok or large pot sauté garlic and ginger in olive oil until fragrant. Add shrimp and a tiny pinch of salt. Cook until just pink.
- Add peppers, onions and scallions, season with a tiny bit of salt (the sauce is highly seasoned).
- Add pasta, make hot then add 6 oz of sauce. Wilt spinach in at very end.
- Toss. Plate in a large bowl, garnish with sesame seeds, garlic chips and cilantro. Enjoy!
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »