Shrimp Salad Recipe
Champagne Beurre Blanc makes this salad distinctive
The beauty of this dish is the butter and soy combination. I dress a fresh green salad with a light, lemony soy sauce vinaigrette, then top it with shrimp coated in a creamy beurre blanc. To marry the two elements, I use champagne vinegar in place of the traditional white wine for a sharper beurre blanc.
Reprinted with permission from Home Cooking with Jean-Georges by Jean-Georges Vongerichten with Genevieve Ko © 2011 Crown Publishing Group.
To Make the Salad:
- Arrange an oven rack 4 inches from the broiler heat source. Preheat the broiler. Generously butter a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar and shallots. Boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has almost completely evaporated and the shallots are glazed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and continue boiling until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the butter, a little at a time, until well incorporated. Season to taste with salt and cayenne.
- Meanwhile, butterfly the shrimp by cutting each in half along its vein, slicing all the way through the curved middle, but keeping the stubby ends connected.
- Open the butterflied shrimp (they’ll resemble hearts) and arrange in the prepared pan in a single layer. Season with salt and cayenne, then splash a little water over the shrimp. Broil until the shrimp just become opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the greens among serving dishes. Arrange the tomatoes and avocados over the greens, then scatter the mushrooms all around. Spoon the dressing all over.
- Arrange the shrimp around the center and spoon the beurre blanc over the shrimp. Garnish with chives.
To Make the House Dressing:
- Whisk together the truffle juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, and pepper until well combined.Whisk again before using.
- The dressing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »