Jalapeños Stuffed with Cashews & Coconut
Indian-spiced jalapeño poppers make an exotic snack
If you like spicy food, then you're going to love these Indian-spiced stuffed jalapeños. Sweet coconut and buttery cashews make for a pleasantly exotic departure from the typical cream cheese–filled and/or bacon-wrapped poppers of yesteryear. You should wear latex gloves when removing the peppers' seeds (or be careful not to touch them with your bare fingers), because they can burn.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a baking sheet with oil and arrange the potatoes on top. Bake until a bit overcooked, about 45 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then peel and cut in half.
- Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer or grate them on the large holes of a box grater. Place potatoes in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine the potatoes, cashews, coconut, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut a short slit into each jalapeño pepper. Remove as many seeds as possible with a small spoon. Stuff the jalapeños with the potato mixture.
- In a small bowl combine both flours, the carom seeds and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Slowly add water, about 1/4 cup, to the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until the batter has a slightly thickened and has a very smooth consistency.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Heat a deep-fryer or a large saucepan filled with at least 2 inches of oil to about 350ºF. Test the oil by putting a few drops of batter in the oil. The batter should begin to bubble and brown within 1 minute.
- Dip the jalapeños in the batter and carefully drop them into the hot oil, frying in batches of 6 to 8 at a time; cook for 5 to 7 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove from the oil and drain on lined baking sheet. Serve hot.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »