Pork and Shrimp Loh Bak Recipe
Oct 3, 2011 2:09 pm
Malaysian five-spice pork rolls
Recipe courtesy of Matt Lambert, Chef de Cuisine of Public in New York City
Servings: 10 rolls
4 pounds ground pork, 40% shoulder, 60% belly
1 pound diced Maine Shrimp
1/2 pound jumbo lump crab
2 ounces garlic
7 ounces water chestnuts
1 tablespoon Five-spice
6 tablespoons tapioca flour
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons salt
8 tablespoons sugar
zest of 4 limes
1 tablespoon of yuzu juice
2 tablespoons milk powder
- Grind pork, and mix everything except for flour, crab and eggs.
- After marinating for 24 hours add egg and flour mix in Hobart until even.
- Then fold in crab to keep large lumps in tact.
- Take Yuba skins and cut into 6 inch strips.
- Using a pastry brush apply water to moisten the yuba and add approximately 6 ounces of pork mince and roll tightly.
- If setting aside make sure the joining “flap” is on the underside to help it stick.
- Fry in a wok or deep fryer in oil at 375 degrees for about 5 mins depending on the thickness.
- You can serve this with or without a dipping sauce, I prefer it without but it is delicious with just about anything! (please don’t use ketchup)
Level of Difficulty:
30 minutes plus 24 hour marinating time.
Food Republic Newsletter
Become an avocado expert with this handy guide
We're honoring the Mediterranean miracle food