Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Our favorite meat and potatoes combo yet!
Meat and potatoes. Aside from peanut butter and jelly or MAYBE bacon and anything, we can't think of a better combination. Shepherd's pie is hearty, easy to make a ton of for a large family or dinner party (the leftovers make a great lunch) and, barring vegetarians, universally-pleasing. If lactose is your Kryptonite, sub out the milk for chicken stock and the butter for olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, then add the onion, carrot and ground beef. Cook until beef is browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste and thyme. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the juice thickens, then add the peas. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a 11 x 9 baking dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook about 20 minutes, or until tender, and drain.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and salt until smooth.
- Spread mashed potatoes in an even layer over the meat mixture making sure to reach edges completely.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.