Butternut Squash Soup with Quinoa Recipe
A complete vegan meal in one bowl - go squash!
We hope you're familiar with our Feed the Vegan columnist, Ayinde Howell, even if you're not vegan. Actually, especially if you're not vegan. Many animal-free meals are so delicious you wouldn't even realize what's missing —and with Ayinde's recipe for vegan butternut squash soup, nothing is! Quinoa is an excellent source of protein, and amino acids and adds great texture to this creamy (yet creamless), veggie-packed one-bowl meal.
- In a medium soup pot over medium high heat, bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add squash and Earth Balance, cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook until squash cubes are tender and easy to mash. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, heat oil until hot and shimmering. Add herbs and veggies, sauté about 4 minutes until onions become translucent. Once done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a large spoon, transfer squash to a blender, filling it halfway. Slowly add in 1 ½ cups of water and blend. Repeat until you achieve a smooth creamy soup.
- Pour back into soup pot and stir in veggie/herb sauté and quinoa. Add salt to taste.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »