Summer Fling Cocktail Recipe
A cool vodka drink with hints of blood orange
Yes, the window is closing for another summer fling, but there's still plenty of time to make this, the Summer Fling Cocktail. Mixologist Julio Torres created this blood orange vodka cocktail for a special Rue La La dinner held earlier this summer at the restaurant August (which is co-owned by Food Republic co-founder Marcus Samuelsson). He used one of our favorite spirits, the boutique brand Double Cross Vodka, and conjured up a blood orange cube (the technique is below) to provide the flavor blast. If you want to have one last summer fling, let it be this one.
For Blood Orange Cube:
- Add tea and water to pot and simmer for about 30 minutes or when reduced to 2 cups of liquid. Strain through fine strainer and let cool.
- Add all ingredients — coconut water, simple syrup, molasses, blossom water — to tea. Taste to find balance.
- If needed add more syrup to round out the bitterness of the tea and add molasses to give sharpness. Always look for the balance.
- Freeze liquid in ice cube trays. The cubes will last for 4 months as long as they're covered.
- In a martini glass add blood orange cube.
- Fill shaker full of ice and add the first 5 ingredients listed above except Blood orange cube. Shake vigorously.
- Then pour into a martini glass. Garnish with thai basil leaf. Let your guest know to take his/her time tasting the Summer Fling. The journey of the senses begins once the cube blends into the cocktail. Enjoy!