Polletto Alla Diavola Recipe
A spicy Italian chicken dish that's smokin'
Polletto alla Diavola, or, "Devil's Chicken," is typically grilled over wood chips for an earthy, piquant smoke infusion and crisp, slightly charred skin. You can use a gas or charcoal grill with similar results. Feel free to adjust the amount of red chili flakes you use. That's where the "devil" component comes into play.
For lemon butter:
Soften butter in mixing bowl; add salt, pepper, lemon juice, roasted garlic, parsley and hot pepper until evenly combined.
- Combine all marinade ingredients, pour over chicken in a baking dish, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and grill over low heat, alongside face-down lemon halves, brushing with oil until skin is well browned and cooked through, approximately 15 minutes; juices should be clear.
- Season again with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, brush with lemon butter.
- Place arugula on bottom of plate, place bread on top; place chicken and any remaining butter on top.
- Garnish with grilled lemon halves.