Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Kick off your dinner party with this delicious app
We love how mushrooms provide an edible transport for all types of fillings from leeks and goat cheese to pepperoni and mozzarella. We chose a mix of spicy Italian sausage and sweet Italian sausage to give our earthy mushrooms a meaty filling. Top with a little melted Parmesan cheese and you've got a simple appetizer that looks as good as it tastes.
*The ingredients below indicate Portobello mushroom caps with the gills removed. The gills are those brownish black papery ribs under the rounded side of the mushroom cap. The easiest way to remove these without damaging the cap is with a spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add enough olive oil to coat the pan. Once it is hot add the sausage.
- Cook until it is browned, constantly breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon or tongs as you cook it.
- Drain off the fat and transfer the cooked meat to a bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, half of the Parmesan cheese and egg to the cooked sausage mixture.
- Lightly brush the portobelllo's with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Space them out evenly on a sheet pan. Top each with even amounts of the sausage stuffing.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top. Place the tray back under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.