Frozen Yogurt Ice Pops with Blackberries
Or as we like to say, paletas de yogurt con moras
Thick, flavorful Greek yogurt provides a creamy consistency for this paleta, or Latin-American ice pop, so you get a rich mouthfeel without any of the guilt. Added bonus: You get a hit of calcium, protein and healthy probiotics. The blackberry-yogurt combination is pretty classic, but feel free to substitute any other berry.
Reprinted with permission from Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice, & Aguas Frescas by Fany Gerson, copyright © 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press.
- Rinse the lemon, then peel it. (This recipe uses only the peel, so save the lemon for a different use.)
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the lemon peel, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh sieve, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Add the yogurt and honey to the chilled syrup and stir until thoroughly combined. Put a bit of the yogurt mixture into each of the molds, to a height of about 3/4 inch. Freeze until the mixture begins to set, about 40 minutes.
- If the blackberries are big, cut them in half. Divide the blackberries among the molds, then pour in the remaining yogurt mixture, dividing it evenly among the molds.
- If using conventional molds, snap on the lid and freeze until solid, 3 to 4 hours. If using glasses or other unconventional molds, freeze until the pops are beginning to set (45 minutes to 1 hour), then insert the sticks and freeze until solid, 3 to 4 hours. If using an instant ice pop maker, gently fold the blackberries into the yogurt prior to filling the molds and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Looking for more frozen treats? Check out these recipes:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »