Basil Ice Cream Recipe
Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm
An herbal twist to your ice cream
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
1 pint heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons basil, fresh, chopped
6 egg yolks
1 cup half and half
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the heavy cream, sugar and basil and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for half an hour.
- Place this mixture in a blender and puree.
- In a large stainless steel bowl place the egg yolks. Add the half and half mixture while constantly whisking.
- Place entire mixture back onto heat. Add the vanilla bean and the half and half and heat for one to two more minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil! Remove from heat and strain the entire mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
- Cool over an ice bath. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions.
Level of Difficulty:
Food Republic Newsletter
You’ve heard the term. But really, you can do it.
It measures only 14" by 21" and is counter-ready
Vietnamese noodle soup, it’s what’s for breakfast
A serious sign of spring. Yes, it’s spring.
A tailoring theme, a lively bar scene and more
The young NYC chef makes a “simple peasant dish”
Discover a lively cuisine in Israel’s fertile north
An old tiki favorite gets a new-Brooklyn twist
Spicy, tangy, Italian-style ribs in red sauce