Spring Lamb Sausage Pizza Recipe
A lamb-based pizza to make on the grill
Pizza and wine are a classic combo, but at Sonoma County's Simi Winery, Chef Eric Lee takes this pairing beyond the traditional red sauce and table wine that you might be used to on a Friday night. At the Landslide Terazzo Pizza Café at the Healdburg, California winery, Lee whips up seasonal pizzas to pair with the winery's Chardonnays, Sauvignon Blancs, Merlots, Cabernet Sauvignons, and Pinot Noirs. Lee suggests pairing this deluxe Spring Lamb Sausage Pizza with a Simi Pinot Noir.
- Place the chile in hot water and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Remove the stems and reserve the water.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan. Fry the bread slice until golden on both sides.
- Place the chile, bread, almonds, and garlic in a processor and pulse quickly. Add the roasted pepper, paprika, salt and pepper and puree to form a chunky paste.
- Add vinegar.
- Add the oil slowly. Adjust seasonings and add reserved liquid as needed to reach sauce-like consistency.
- Roll out each piece of pizza dough until it is about 1/8” thick. Uneven, non-round and rustically shaped is good here.
- Brush with olive oil and place dough onto hot grill. Cook until the bottom is set and there are nicely golden grill marks.
- Flip over and spread some of the romesco sauce onto the pizza leaving a ½ inch border. Top with the cooked lamb sausage and the cheeses. Close your top and let cook for about minutes.
- Top with some of the mint and parsley. Slice and serve immediately.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »