Grilled Vegetables Recipe
An awesome side or pizza topping made on the grill
Not only can nearly all veggies be grilled, but they should be, because it might just be the best way to cook them. No need for veggies to be shunned to side dishes alone, this platter is the star of any barbeque.
Basil oil: In a blender combine the basil and the extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and whiz until smooth.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Cut the sides off the peppers - remove the ribs, core, and any seeds.
- Peel the outside paper from the onions, cut off the ends, and slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Remove the ends from the eggplants, then cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Remove the ends from the squash and zucchini, then cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Cut about 1/2 inch from the tough ends of the asparagus (or is it asparagi?).
- Place all the veggies on a baking sheet, brush all sides lightly with basil oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill (see BTW) until marks appear, turning as necessary. Brush with the basil oil again as they come off the grill.
- Serve with pretty much anything.
BTW:Grill the veggies in the order they are on the ingredient list. The peppers will take the longest and the tomatoes the least. You’re trying to keep them crisp/tender - not mushy, but not too hard either.