Best Bourbon Ice Cream Recipe
Go wire to wire on Derby Day with bourbon ice cream
After an afternoon of bourbon swilling and/or mint julep sipping, I'm not sure anyone actually sees the finish line on Derby Day. If you'd rather skip the hangover and eat your bourbon, you'll love this rich bourbon ice cream, which is surprisingly easy to make at home (if you have an ice cream machine). It's also great to make ahead, freeze, and bring to a Kentucky Derby party.
Your friends will be impressed, even if you don't hit the trifecta.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat cream, half and half, sugar and vanilla bean to a boil.
- In a large stainless steel bowl reserve egg yolks. Temper hot cream mixture into the egg yolks while constantly stirring (this means add a little of the hot milk at a time continually whisking).
- Place entire mixture back onto heat for one more minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and strain.
- Add the bourbon until evenly combined.
- Cool over an ice bath. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »