Best Basic Risotto Recipe
How to make an awesome risotto
Have a basic risotto recipe in your cooking arsenal and you will always feel confident in the kitchen. It's something you can go to again and again, employing different ingredients (mushrooms one day, asparagus and cheese the next), plating fish over it, and using leftovers to make rice balls to enjoy later or to use in other, more complicated recipes.
Making an awesome risotto doesn't take any special techniques or crazy knife skills, just focus and determination. Equipment-wise you'll need a heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven, a sturdy spatula, a ladle, a pot for heating the broth, and enough arm strength to win the occasional arm-wrestling match.
Follow our recipe and these tips:
- Always use hot stock for best results.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently. Yes, we know you are supposed to stir constantly, but the truth is that you just want to keep the grains moving enough that they don't stew in the liquid. Frequently, or slightly more than occasionally is just fine. The whole process should take 20-30 minutes. Any more than that and you're in trouble.
- Melt the butter and mix with the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and sweat gently for 3 minutes or until soft. Do not let them brown.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir in the rice. Continue stirring for about 2 minutes to ensure that all the rice is coated.
- Add the white wine, a few ounces at a time, stirring constantly until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Add the hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring gently the entire time.
- Make sure each ladleful is mostly absorbed before adding the next.
- Constantly stir until the rice is just cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the Parmesan, and serve.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »