Mediterranean Lamb Meatballs
Small, savory, sweet lamb meatballs
The Meatball Shop in NYC's Lower East Side, is a hip and cozy little restaurant which serves nothing but meatballs. And ice cream sandwiches. Strange but true. This is a version of their lamb meatballs that you can make it home. They'll make a nice surprise Easter side dish.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large baking dish (9x12) making sure to evenly coat the entire surface (use your hand to help spread the oil).
- Roll the mixture into round, golf ball sized meatballs making sure to pack the meat firmly.
- Place the balls into the oiled baking dish such that all of the meatballs are lined up evenly in rows and are touching each of their four neighbors in a grid.
- Roast until firm and cooked through (about 20 minutes).
- Allow the meatballs to cool for five minutes before removing from the tray.Serve with Classic Tomato Sauce (recipe below).
For Classic Tomato Sauce:
- Cook the onions with the olive oil, oregano, bay, garlic and salt in a large pot (12 qt) over medium heat, stirring constantly until soft and translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste and continue cooking for five minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and stir constantly until the sauce begins to boil. Continue cooking for 1 hour, stirring ever four or five minutes to keep the sauce from burning. Season with salt to taste.