Basic Matzo Ball Recipe
A secret matzo ball soup recipe is not so secret
GM Nate was nice enough to offer to share his family matzo ball soup recipe, but when he asked his mom for it he was surprised to hear that her secret family recipe actually came from a cookbook. We took what she adapted from the 1949 cookbook Jewish Cookery by Leah W. Leonard, and made it Food Republic-friendly. Feel free to use this as a start and put your own spin on it for your signature matzo ball soup.
- In a large pan, over medium heat add the chicken fat. Saute onions until translucent.
- In a bowl beat eggs. Add matzo meal, salt, chopped parsley and onions in fat.
- To that add enough water to make a stiff batter, mix.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate 2-4 hours (or overnight).
- Wet hands and form balls (approx. 1-2 tablespoons). Add balls to large pot of boiling water. Cook 30 minutes and cut a matzo ball in half to check if cooked through
- Add to soup before serving.