Poutine Sauce Recipe for French Fries
Vive Poutine! Quebec's take on Disco Fries
Thanks to our amis up north in Canada, Day 2 here yesterday at Food Republic HQ was filled with fun French comments and lots of pro-Québec feelings. Which reminded us of how much we love poutine, which we actually just had at Mile End, where Montréal meets Brooklyn. I mean, let's face it: gravy, cheese curds and skin-on french fries—what's not to love?
So to say "merci," here's an awesome poutine recipe you can try at home, even if your heart is with the U-S-A!
- In a 2 quart pot bring stock to a boil. Add the butter and the flour, whisking continually over high heat, for about 3 min.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for around 35 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Strain the sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want your sauce to be thicker, lower the heat to medium and let it reduce further.
- For serving: Put a handful of curds in a bowl, cover them with french fries, cover french fries with rest of curd, cover the french fries with the poutine sauce.