Best Basic Pizza Dough Recipe
A quick and easy homemade pizza dough
To paraphrase Scarface, "First you get the dough, then you get the pizza, then you get the women." Well, at any rate, knowing how to make a good basic pizza dough will get you far, because it's easy, versatile, and you can make one for now and one for later. Then you can top your pizza with whatever strikes your fancy, young fella.
Gentlemen, start your kneading.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook, pour the warm water in and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. *Do not use hot water or it will kill the yeast and your dough will not rise.
- Add the sugar, oil, and salt into yeast mixture.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour and mix until a dough ball forms. You may want to transfer to a floured work surface and knead by hand until a smooth ball comes together. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and brush top with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm area for about an hour. The dough should double in size.
- Cut the dough in half. Place both pieces on a floured work surface and gently knead. You can roll one piece out now into a 12- inch round.
- To cook now, top with your favorite toppings. Brush the exposed dough with olive oil and place in a 450 degree oven on a pizza stone (if you have one) for 12 to 15 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- To freeze the second piece, wrap the dough in plastic and place it in a resealable freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Pizza recipes from Food Republic:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »