These zucchini fries are a summery alternative to french fries. Unlike the heavy starch associated with their potato kin, these zucchini fries are light, crisp and juicy. The parmesan adds a nice sharpness to the mix. You can feel healthier while munching on these at an outdoor lawn party, and still call them a guilty pleasure because, after all, they are fried. Swap out fries’ usual sidekick, ketchup, for marinara sauce (we know a great recipe) to keep things Italian.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips.
- Pour oil into a large frying pan to a depth of two inches. Heat over medium heat.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a medium size bowl. In a separate medium-sized bowl, stir together parmesan, breadcrumbs and salt.
- Dip the zucchini strips in the egg, allowing any excess to drip off. Roll the egg-covered strips into the breadcrumb mixture, making sure they are completely coated.
- When the oil is hot (about 350 degrees F), fry the zucchini strips in batches until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fried zucchini to paper towels and drain.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and serve.