The Manhattan Cocktail Classic is not just about crazy drinks, it’s about awesome food to be consumed with drinks. For a Campari event at the Lower East Side bar/performance space The Box, both bartender and chef were presented with both a challenge and a muse. The muse? Ms. Padma Lakshmi, Top Chef hostess, star of sultry TV commercials, and author of the cookbook Tangy, Tart, Hot, and Sweet. The challenge? To come up with a cocktail and food pairing that was either tangy, tart, hot, or sweet. Chef Sean Scotese came up with this sweet ceviche to be paired with the classic Negroni.
- 1/2 lb. sushi-grade yellowtail (also known as hamachi), diced small
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon yuzu juice (Japanese lime)
- 2 tablespoons jackfruit, diced
- 6 leaves Vietnamese mint, chiffonaded
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 bag small prawn crackers, found in Asian markets
- oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients, except prawn crackers and oil, in bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Fry prawn crackers in very hot oil until fully puffed.
- Drain on paper towel and reserve until ready to assemble.
- Spoon a small amount of ceviche on to each prawn cracker and serve.