A Texan named “Master of the Manhattan“? Indeed. Marcelo Nascimento, founder of Lucky 13 Cocktail Co. in Austin, Texas, took home the title in the second annual Woodford Reserve Ultimate Well Crafted Manhattan competition.
Nascimento’s newfangled interpretation of the old-school classic combines Woodford Reserve small-batch bourbon with sweet, thick, and bitter Averna Amaro and Clement Creole Shrubb, a blend of white and aged rum infused with orange.
- 2 1/2 ounces Woodford Reserve
- 1/2 ounce Averna Amaro
- 1/2 ounce Clement Creole Shrubb
- 1/2 barspoon pink peppercorns
- skewered blood orange supremes, for garnish
- inflamed orange peel, for garnish
- In a pint glass, muddle peppercorns and then add Woodford Reserve, Averna, and Creole Shrub.
- Top with ice and stir.
- Double strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish by rubbing skewered blood orange supremes along the rim of the glass then placing in glass and finishing with an flamed orange peel.