Ask for “ breakfast” on a tiny beach on the Greek island of Mykonos, and you’ll be served a tall glass of grapefruit juice and vodka. In other parts of the world, grapefruit, halved and eaten with spoons, is a very civilized start to the day. This fruit dishes out your daily dose of vitamin C. It can also add zing to your drink.
While a traditional Salty Dog is made with gin we like this cocktail with vodka too. Yes, a vodka and grapefruit cocktail is also called a Greyhound, but add some salt to the rim and you've got our take on the Salty Dog.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice
- salt, for rimming the glass
- lemon or lime wedge, for rimming
- Use a lemon or lime wedge to wipe around the mouth of a collins glass. Dip the glass in salt to lightly rim.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add the vodka and grapefruit juice and stir well.