Now that you've sampled just about everything eggnog-flavored, why not whip up a batch of the real deal? It really just is as easy as it sounds: open carton, tilt head back…uh, that is to say combine these ingredients, ladle into glasses like a civilized person and finish with a grating of fresh nutmeg. We make ours a little strong.
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until completely combined and slightly foamy and set aside.
- Bring milk and cream to a simmer in a medium pot, then vigorously whisk half a cup of the mixture into the sugar and eggs to temper it.
- Whisk the rest of the milk and cream into the egg yolks, then transfer back to pot and heat until the mixture thickens, but don't let it boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in bourbon, rum and nutmeg.
- Serve in small cups garnished with more nutmeg.