The Ryder Cup is one of the most prestigious events in golf, pitting the world’s best from the United States and Europe against each another in team competition. Venues for the biennial event alternate between the two continents, and the tournament kicks off in Chicago next week (September 25-30). VisitScotland is toasting to the homecoming of the tournament in September of 2014, when it will be held at Gleneagles Hotel on a beautiful 850 acres of Perthshire countryside. In honor of the tournament’s return to Scotland (last held at Gleneagles in 1921), try this whiskey cocktail from the hotel’s bar manager – whether you’re sipping it at home or in the birthplace of golf, it will warm you up to Scotland.
- 8 1/2 ounces water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3-4 cloves
- zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 1 1/2 ounces Johnnie Walker Platinum
- 1/2 ounce ginger wine
- 3/4 ounce cloudy apple juice
- 2-3 apple slices
For the ice cubes
- Add water to a pan and bring to a boil, then add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and zest.
- Allow this mixture to simmer for half an hour, then cool and add to ice cube trays.
For the cocktail
- Once the ice cubes are frozen, place one in an Old Fashioned glass. To the glass, add the whisky and ginger wine, then top up with apple juice. Garnish with apple slices, and enjoy.
More whiskey cocktail recipes on Food Republic: