Great vegetable sides are always useful recipes to have on-hand. Whether you’re serving this sweet and sour Chinese cabbage as part of an all-vegetarian spread or topping your perfectly grilled hot dog, you’ll be prepared. It’s as tasty on a sandwich as it is on a bite of Wasabi Flank Steak.
The Meat Free Monday Cookbook, authored by a slew of celebrities, British and American like and with a foreword from the McCartney family, has plenty of gems like this one. It’s absolutely worth checking out if you’re interested in lowering your meat intake without sacrificing originality or flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sambal olek
- 6 tablespoons tomatoes, chopped
- 1 head Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 red chile, thinly sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook sliced onion until soft.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, sugar, sambal olek and chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the shredded Chinese cabbage and salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve hot with scallions and red chile sprinkled over the top.