Corn is one of my absolute favorites during the summer season. To prepare it I use two of my favorite favorite kitchen tools: a microplane and a corn zipper. The corn zipper is really great in getting corn off the cob quickly and fairly mess free. The flavor combination here works really well: A little bit of butter and a good amount of lime juice married with local manchego cheese microplaned on top with a touch of chili flakes. To prepare the corn, throw it into the oven or grill without husking so it will keep the flavors and won’t dry out.
Dan Kluger is the chef at ABC Kitchen in New York City. In 2012, ABC Kitchen was recognized as the Best New Restaurant by the influential James Beard Foundation. In the same year Kluger was also named Best New Chef by Food & Wine. He served this corn dish at the Aspen Food & Wine Classic, an annual rich person and foodie confab that honors the Best New Chefs.
- 6 ears sweet yellow corn, unhusked
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 cup Manchego cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup chives, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, finely grated with microplane
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Roast unhusked corn on a baking sheet, turning occasionally, until heated through and crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool. Shuck corn and cut kernels from cobs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add corn kernels and sauté until heated through and light-golden in spots, 3-5 minutes.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer corn to a large wide bowl or deep platter. Sprinkle jalapeno and crushed red pepper flakes over.
- Squeeze lime wedges over, sprinkle with cheese, chives, and lime zest and serve.