White balsamic vinegar has a cleaner finish than the traditional variety, plus it keeps your cocktail from turning a murky brown color. Stir a tablespoon into your favorite rum cocktail for a drink that’s fruity but not frilly.
- 3/4 cup (5 ounces) chopped ripe strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- In a small mixing bowl, add chopped strawberries with sugar and black pepper. Toss to combine and let sit for about thirty minutes, or until the mixture is macerated and syrupy.
- Add vinegar and transfer mixture to a sterilized glass jar.
- Allow mixture to rest in the refrigerator for two days, then strain through a fine mesh sieve or muslin cloth. Discard leftover fruit and pepper.
- Shrub will keep for up to one month, refrigerated.