One of the great things about drinking at a real pub — gastro or otherwise — is that the food will be perfect for whatever's in your pint glass. That's why we're loving cookbook author Rachael Lane's Great Pub Food, a tome packed with all things beefy, cheesy, fried, salty and otherwise perfect for the bar-frequenter. Pair these steak sandwiches with smoked cheddar and caramelized onions with your favorite beer.
- 8 short slices bacon
- 4 (5-ounce) sirloin steaks
- olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices smoked cheddar
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- barbecue sauce
- 2 large handfuls arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 ounce butter
- 3 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
For the caramelized onions:
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until softened. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 10–15 minutes, or until caramelized. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
For the steaks:
- Preheat a griller (broiler) to high. Preheat a char-grill or large frying pan over medium–high heat. Cook the bacon for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown. Transfer to paper towel to drain. Put steaks between two sheets of baking paper and gently flatten with a rolling pin or meat mallet. Increase the heat to high. Drizzle the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute on each side for medium–rare or until cooked to your liking.
- Transfer the steaks onto a tray small enough to fit under the grill. Place slices of smoked cheddar on top and melt under the grill. Remove the steaks and set aside. Lightly toast the bread slices under the griller. Spread the mayonnaise over all of the bread slices.
- On 4 of the slices place a steak with cheese and top with bacon. Spoon on some barbecue sauce followed by caramelised onions and rocket. Cover with the remaining bread and serve.
Try out these sandwich recipes on Food Republic: