The beauty of this dish is the butter and soy combination. I dress a fresh green salad with a light, lemony soy sauce vinaigrette, then top it with shrimp coated in a creamy beurre blanc. To marry the two elements, I use champagne vinegar in place of the traditional white wine for a sharper beurre blanc.
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened; plus more for the pan
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- cayenne pepper
- 20 large shrimp (16- to 20-count), shelled and deveined
- 12 ounces (about 8 cups) mixed greens
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 avocados, halved; pitted; peeled; and thinly sliced
- 4 large white mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- House dressing
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives, for garnish
For House Dressing
- 2 tablespoons truffle juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To Make the Salad:
- Arrange an oven rack 4 inches from the broiler heat source. Preheat the broiler. Generously butter a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar and shallots. Boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has almost completely evaporated and the shallots are glazed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and continue boiling until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the butter, a little at a time, until well incorporated. Season to taste with salt and cayenne.
- Meanwhile, butterfly the shrimp by cutting each in half along its vein, slicing all the way through the curved middle, but keeping the stubby ends connected.
- Open the butterflied shrimp (they’ll resemble hearts) and arrange in the prepared pan in a single layer. Season with salt and cayenne, then splash a little water over the shrimp. Broil until the shrimp just become opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the greens among serving dishes. Arrange the tomatoes and avocados over the greens, then scatter the mushrooms all around. Spoon the dressing all over.
- Arrange the shrimp around the center and spoon the beurre blanc over the shrimp. Garnish with chives.
To Make the House Dressing:
- Whisk together the truffle juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, and pepper until well combined.Whisk again before using.
- The dressing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.