Leave it to the recipe developers at Southern Living Magazine to put out a fantastic cookbook now and then. Their latest, Quick-Fix Dinners, is all about putting your weeknight mind to rest. No idea what to make for your hungry crowd? Flip through this book for simple inspirations and the tested and re-tested recipes to make it happen tonight. This ravioli with butternut cream sauce is so easy to make!
A creamy butternut squash, brown butter, and sage sauce livens up frozen cheese-filled ravioli. A quick visit under the broiler just before serving, and the end result is crispy perfection.
Reprinted with permission from Quick-Fix Dinners
- 1 22-ounce package frozen cheese ravioli (such as Celentano)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 sage leaves
- 3 ounces shredded 4-cheese Italian blend cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
Butternut Squash Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable stock
- About 6 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 12-ounce package frozen butternut squash puree, thawed
For the sauce
Process all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
For the ravioli
Preheat the broiler.
Cook the ravioli according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
While the ravioli cooks, make the Butternut Squash Cream Sauce.
Divide the ravioli evenly among 6 greased shallow baking dishes. Spoon the cream sauce evenly over the ravioli in the dishes.
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the sage; sauté 3 minutes or until the bubbles subside and the butter begins to brown. Drizzle the butter mixture evenly over the sauce. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
Place the dishes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Broil 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Garnish with the sage leaves, if desired.