And all of a sudden, it was casserole season. The baking dishes crept out of their hiding places and heavy cream found itself in our fridges. Get back into the season of warm, melty, cheesy baked casseroles with this potato, bacon and cheese bake from renowned test kitchen chef Pamela Clark. What kind of cheese? Well with all that bacon, we certainly hope it’s blue. Serve this alongside a worthy piece of meat.
- 2 1/2 pounds medium potatoes, sliced thickly
- 2 medium red onions, cut into thick wedges
- 10 ounces rindless bacon slices, chopped coarsely
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil 10-cup ovenproof dish.
- Combine potato, onion and bacon in dish; top with half the thyme. Combine cream and stock in medium bowl; season, pour over potato.
- Bake, uncovered, about 1 1/2 hours or until potato is tender. Serve topped with cheese and remaining thyme.
Try out these potato recipes on Food Republic: