Bartender Gautam Shah, of the Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad, India, bases all of his cocktails around the abundant seasonal fruit and herbs that are harvested on the estate. Thanks to the temperate weather, pomegranates and mint are readily available to add fresh flavor to your cocktail of choice. This margarita is perfect for sipping on the lavish terraces of Falaknuma Palace, but it’ll taste just as good in your own home.
Related article: Hyberabad, India: How To Drink Like A Nizam
- 2 pomegranates
- 4 ounces additional pomegranate juice
- 10 sprigs mint
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce lemon
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Hand squeeze the pomegranates into a tall shaker glass, allowing the seeds and pulp to collect along with the juice.
- Twist and lightly bruise the mint and add it to the juice.
- Add a shot of tequila, a couple shots of additional pomegranate juice, a squeeze of lemon and a half shot of simple syrup. Shake well with ice.
- Pour into a tall glass, unstrained with ice. Garnish with additional mint.