We say it all the time: it’s not a party spread until the mini cheeseburgers hit the table. This is no recipe for your typical chain restaurant’s sliders, however, these are Wolfgang Puck’s Oscar-worthy mini cheeseburgers. It’s not hard to see why he’s chef to the stars.
For the burgers
- 3/4 pound ground Wagyu beef
- pinch of
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces aged cheddar cheese, sliced
- 6 slices brioche, punched out with a 2-inch ring cutter
- arugula leaves
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3 cornichons, sliced
For the remoulade
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, finely diced
For the remoulade:
- In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream, garlic, rosemary and paprika, reduce by half and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a sauté pan, heat the peanut oil. Sweat the onions, red and yellow bell pepper until glossy.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool to room temperature, then fold into cream mixture and set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan.
- Put the ground beef in a bowl and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands to combine.
- Take a small amount (about 2 tablespoons worth) of the ground beef and roll it in the palm of your hand like you are making meatballs. Flatten the top slightly and put the patties on a side plate. Drizzle with oil and season both sides with with salt and pepper.
- Place the burgers on the hot grill. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn them over with tongs. Put about 1/2 ounce of aged cheddar cheese on top of the burgers, allowing it to melt.
- While that’s cooking, put the brioche circles on the grill. Let them toast slightly on both sides, about 2 minutes total time.
- To put the burgers together: Put the toasted brioche circles on a platter. Top each with a small spoonful of remoulade. Put the burger on top (cheese side up), followed by an arugula leaf, a slice of tomato and a slice of cornichon.