Just because we know the formula for a smoothie is fruit + ice + something doesn't mean we get it right all the time. Thankfully there's Superfood Smoothies, the cookbook to show us the way to healthy frozen nirvana. Sweet mango and bracingly hot chili pepper's one hot way to start off your day.
Sweet and tropical with a hint of spice, the key to making this smoothie is using a chili powder made exclusively from red chiles — not one that’s a blend of other spices (like oregano and garlic), which offer too much of a savory flavor for smoothie purposes. If you can’t find a pure chili powder, use a fresh, de-seeded, red jalapeño pepper instead.
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried goji berries
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- sweetener, to taste (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Taste, and blend in sweetener as desired.
Superfood Boost: Add 1 tablespoon chia seeds for extra fiber.
Try out these summer smoothies on Food Republic: