- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds leeks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fontina, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut root ends off leeks, then use scissors to cut the dark outer leaves. Cut the white and light green parts into ½-inch pieces. Soak leeks in a large bowl or sinkful of water to remove grit, making sure to change water at least two times.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, then add leeks and garlic, then season with salt and pepper. Sauté leeks for about 6-7 minutes or until tender. Transfer leeks to a bowl, then mix in cream, fontina, and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 13- by 9-inch pan. Mix breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of leeks. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.