Meringues: easy to make, easy on the waistline and easy on the wallet. No expensive Valhrona chocolate here, folks. We’re working out way through the quintessential cookbook for baking the crisp, fluffy confection. This Kiwi and lime is a great flavor combination, but when you add fresh mint and sugar, it really kicks it up a notch. We stopped short of calling this a mojito Pavlova, but if you want to add rum, we won’t tell.
Also read: Happy Australia Day! Australia Day?
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- zest of 2 limes (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 fresh kiwis, peeled and sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 or 2 tablespoons, superfine sugar
- 1 heaped tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- drizzle of rum, optional
For the pavlova shell:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add vinegar and salt and beat on medium-high to soft peaks.
- Slowly add sugar, about a tablespoon at a time, beating on high until whites are stiff and shiny.
- Add vanilla and lime zest then sprinkle cornstarch over whites and beat until incorporated.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, pipe or spoon meringue into a 10-inch circle, making sides higher than the center.
- Place in oven and turn heat down immediately to 300 degrees. Bake 45 minutes and then turn oven off, leaving meringue in for an additional 40 minutes, or until crisp.
- Take out of the oven and cool. When completely cooled, remove meringue by gently peeling it off the parchment or by sliding an offset spatula or knife underneath the shell.
For the whipped cream:
- With an electric mixer, whip cream and sugar until you have stiff peaks. Chill until ready to use.
For the kiwi topping:
- Place sliced kiwis in a medium bowl.
- Add lime juice, sugar, mint and rum, if using, and gently toss. Let macerate for 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
To assemble pavlova:
- Fill Pavlova shell with whipped cream and top with macerated kiwis.
More light fruit desserts on Food Republic: