We’re in the middle of a watermelon glut! Use up your excess in this delicious watermelon recipe from Maria Elia’s The Modern Vegetarian. It’s her take on panzanella — Italian bread salad — that would pair perfectly with grilled meat or fish.
As you’ve probably realized by now, I am a big fan of watermelon! This is a sensational salad recipe and a great way to use up any leftover melon. As with all panzanella salads, it’s important to let the flavors infuse before serving. Toasting the bread a little will help to keep it slightly crispier.
- 10 slices ciabatta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 2 cups diced ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 7 ounces halloumi cheese, diced (or half halloumi and half crumbled feta cheese)
- 2/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- a small bunch of basil, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch of sugar
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the salad, tear the ciabatta into croûton-sized pieces, drizzle with olive oil, place in a roasting pan, and cook for about 5 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
- Toss the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl, add the ciabatta and mix together well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together and pour over salad. Allow the flavors to marinate for about 1 hour before serving.
More summer salad recipes on Food Republic: