When it comes to the basics, look no further than a cookbook by renowned Test Kitchen master Pamela Clark. Her simple, triple-tested recipes are delicious and genuinely foolproof, two things you’ll want to consider when tackling grilled fish. Pair the skewers with Greek skordalia, a thick, rustic purée of garlic, olive oil and bread, and serve with smashed potatoes for an authentic Mediterranean dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds white fish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon thyme
- 2 pounds baby new potatoes, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 small potato
- 1 slice white bread
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Thread fish onto eight skewers. Place in medium shallow dish.
- Brush with combined oil and herbs.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make skordalia.
- Boil, steam or microwave potato until tender. Drain.
- Mash potato in medium bowl until smooth.
- Discard crusts from bread.
- Soak bread in small bowl of cold water. Drain. Squeeze out excess liquid.
- Blend or process bread with remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Stir bread mixture into potato.
For smashed potatoes:
- Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender. Drain.
- Mash half the potatoes in medium bowl with sour cream and butter until smooth.
- Using a fork, crush remaining potatoes until skins burst. Fold into mash mixture.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Cook skewers in heated oiled grill pan.
- Serve fish skewers with smashed potatoes and skordalia.
Find more seafood skewers on Food Republic: