Pass the red quinoa ratatouille! Bowls of hearty whole grains topped with healthful, delicious fare are a trend that will outlast any fad pastry or rainbow this-or-that. Join food stylist and recipe developer Anna Hampton as she explores the wide world of ancient strains, gluten-free options and other filling, fiber-rich grains that pair beautifully with fresh vegetables, home-fermented foods and lean proteins for a meal that looks as good as it tastes.
- About 1 cup cooked red quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked)
- Heaping 3/4 cup eggplant, chargrilled and chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chargrilled and chopped
- 2/3 cup cherry tomato topping (see below)
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cherry tomato topping (makes about 2 cups)
- Heaping 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered if large)
- About 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
For the cherry tomato topping
Gently toss all the ingredients together in a bowl. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
For the ratatouille
Divide the quinoa, aubergine and courgettes evenly between 2 bowls. Top with cherry tomato topping and feta. Season.