There’s no need to overcomplicate marinades. You simply need a tenderizing agent, which can definitely multi-task as a flavoring agent. That’s right, Guinness is a double agent. And it also loves mustard. Two cats out of the bag right there.
You can use another stout, but I love Guinness’ mellow sweetness and lighter carbonation. It should go without saying that actual step 1 is drinking the other half.
- 1/2 bottle Guinness
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, bruised with a tenderizer or bottom of a heavy pan
- several grinds black pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl and allow to sit, uncovered for 30 minutes. This will allow the rest of the carbonation to settle.
- Pour marinade over steak in a large casserole dish or in a plastic zip-top bag, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, turning once halfway through.
- Remove steak from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before grilling.