A BLT sandwich is a childhood favorite of both of us. This grilled romaine salad gives you all of the flavor without carb-heavy bread.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablepoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 pound thick-cut maple-smoked bacon
- 4 small heads romaine lettuce
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Whisk together the ¾ cup oil, the cheese, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a glass bowl.
- Place the bacon in a cold cast-iron skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the outer leaves from the romaine and discard. Halve the heads lengthwise. Brush with some extra virgin olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side, until the romaine is wilted and has grill marks.
- To serve, place one romaine half on each plate. Drizzle with a small amount of the salad dressing. Arrange 3 tomato slices over the lettuce. Crumble the bacon over each and dress with the remaining dressing. Serve while the lettuce is warm.