So long, blasé beans. Green beans get a makeover in this refreshingly different side.
- 2 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, (2 to-go packets)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- kosher salt
- Heat the vegetable oil to 330°F in a small deep pot. Dust the sliced onion, and jalapeno with the cornstarch and shake off any excess. Add the sliced onion and jalapenos to the hot oil and fry until golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bring 3 cups salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the green beans and simmer for 1 minute.
- Strain and transfer to a large bowl. Let cool slightly.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar, olive oil, cilantro, and toss well to combine. Top with the fried onion and jalapeno mixture and serve.