Add this to a glass of Prosecco for a crisp and tart play on the Bellini. Frozen peaches work as a fine substitute when stone fruit is not in season. You can also use candied ginger in place of the fresh variety, but the shrub will have a finish that’s more mellow than spicy.
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chopped ripe peaches
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- Combine peaches, sugar and ginger in a small bowl. Allow mixture to sit for about thirty minutes, or until the fruit is macerated and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add vinegar and transfer mixture to a sterilized glass jar.
- Allow mixture to rest in the refrigerator for two days, then strain through a fine mesh sieve or muslin cloth. Discard leftover solids.
- Shrub will keep for up to one month, refrigerated.