What's the one thing more American than apple pie? Quiet, dude who knows apple pie is actually German. Fried apple pie, thanks dude who has his priorities in order! For this July 4th (or, hell, any time you want to be an awesome American) whip up this crispy iconic dessert from NYC bistro Lexington Brass, complete with graham cracker ice cream (!) and prepare to seriously rival the dude manning the ribs on the grill. You know, the one who thinks apple pie is German. Now fire up that deep-fryer and break out the ice cream machine. We're getting fancy.
Brick dough can be found in Middle Eastern grocery stores (and is definitely worth seeking out) but puff pastry or even phyllo will do in a pinch.
For the apple pie
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
- 24 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- brick dough sheets
- oil, for deep-frying
For the graham cracker ice cream
- 1 quart milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup glucose syrup
- 16 yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups toasted graham cracker crumbs
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add all purpose flour and while stirring add cider.
- Once mixture starts to thicken, add all your sugars, cinnamon, salt and bring to a boil. Once mix comes to a boil, add Jack Daniels and then add the apples.
- Cook until apples are tender and then let it cool.
- Once cooled, wrap your apple mix with brick dough using a egg wash as a seal. Fry at 350°F until golden-brown.
For the graham cracker ice cream:
- Add milk, cream, vanilla, sugar and glucose to a pot. Place yolks and salt in a container that is big enough to fit the whole recipe. Next, place a handheld blender in container.
- Bring milk mixture to a raging boil, then pour right away into yolks while the handheld blender is on.
- Pour mixture through a sieve, then add graham cracker crumbs, and cool overnight. Use manufacturer's guide to freeze mixture with ice cream machine.
Find more apple pie recipes on Food Republic: