With all the amazing meat fresh off the grill during Food Republic's Grilling Month, you may need a veggie or two in there to balance it all out. Cooking Light magazine's new cookbook, Pick Fresh, is a collection of simple preparations of seasonal vegetables. Enjoy seasonal eggplant stuffed with hearty falafel for a steak of a veggie dish you'll make over and over again.
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggplants (about 12 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise; score cut sides in a crosshatch pattern. Place eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 475° for 7 minutes or until slightly tender and browned. Remove from oven; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/4-inch shell. Reserve pulp for another use. Season cut sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 11 ingredients (through chickpeas) in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon 1/2 cup chickpea mixture into each eggplant shell. Bake at 475° for 25 minutes or until eggplant halves are tender and chickpea mixture is lightly browned.
- Combine tomato and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir to combine.
- Place 1 eggplant half on each of 4 plates. Top each half with 1/4 cup relish and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce.
More eggplant recipes on Food Republic: